Contact Us : +91 832 2226692

Directorate of Archives and Archaeology,
Ourem Road,
Mala, Panaji

Email: dir-arch.goa@nic.in

Chapel of St. Xavier
Chapel of St. Xavier

In the area of the extinct College of St. Paul, stands the small traditional Chapel of St. Francis Xavier.

DETAILS OF PROTECTED MONUMENTS

Archaeology Sites in the State with details


1. Ruins of Brahmapuri, Ella in Tiswadi
A site in Ella, (Old Goa), this was the colony of Brahmins from ancient times. According to the tradition, it was founded by the celebrated Minister of Vijayanagar Empire, Madhava Mantri. Shiva under the name "Goveshvar" was venerated here. This temple was destroyed by the Portuguese during their conquest of Goa in early 16th Century.

2. Chapel of St. Xavier, Ella in Tiswadi
In the areas of the extinct College of St. Paul, at Old Goa, stands the small traditional Chapel of St. Francis Xavier. People say that it was founded by the Saint himself and offered his masses here, passing hours in meditation. However, it is believed by some that the aforesaid Chapel was built after the death of the Saint.

3. Chapel of Our Lady of Monte, Ella in Tiswadi
Situated on the hill, the Chapel of Our Lady of Monte was constructed in 1557, many years after the conquest of Goa to mark the place where Adil Khan took position with his artillery. It is situated on picturesque and a strategic point.

4. Ruins of College of St. Populo, Ella in Tiswadi
Opposite to the St. Augustins Convent to the west, there was the grand College known as Colegio de Populo. It was erected in 1600 by the Provincial Fr. Pedro da Cruz.

5. Convent of St. Monica & Chapel, Ella in Tiswadi.
Situated to the opposite of St. Augustine is the Convent & Chapel of St. Monica. This royal Monastery was used as nunnery in the whole Portuguese region. It was erected in 1606 and it was completed in 1627.

6. Church of St. Peter, Ella in Tiswadi
Close to the site of College of St. Thomas to the west, there is the Parish Church of St. Peter. It is very old and its construction started in 1543. St. Peter is the Prince of Apostles to whom it is dedicated.

7. Casa de Polvora, Panelim in Tiswadi
It is the site of Portuguese artillery and mint and gun foundry where requirements of army and navy were manufactured.

8. Fort of Naroa, Diwadi in Tiswadi
Situated on the island of Divar which was opposite to the city of Old Goa. It was originally built by the Mohammedans. It was abandoned in 1834. It was the site of a "Tirth" and a Hindu Temple which existed upto the time of the Portuguese conquest. The ruins of the fort are discernible on the northern part of the island, called Naroa and opposite to them on the bank of a tributary of the river Mandovi lies the modern "Tirth" to which the Hindus, annually flock in great crowds to perform their celebration.

9. Site of Temple of Saptakoteswara, Naroa, Diwadi in Tiswadi.
Saptakoteswar was the family deity of Kadambas and the Temple was situated on the island of Diwadi. It was destroyed by the Sultan of Deccan in the middle of 14th century. Madhav Mantri provincial Governor of Vijayanagar Empire reconstructed the same. But again it was demolished by Portuguese in 1547.

10. Chapel of St. Jeronimus, Madel Chodan in Tiswadi.
This Chapel is situated on the top of the hill at Madel-Chodan dedicated to St. Jerome. It is circular structure with a dome at the top with pillared verandah around and it was constructed in 16th century. There is a high stone platform in the northern end of this Chapel.

11. Site of Budha Statues, Colvale in Bardez
In 1930 Fr. Heras excavated the site at Mushirvada Colvale and an image of Buddha was found here. Afterwards it was taken to St. Xavier College, Bombay.

12. Fortress of Colvale, Colvale in Bardez
Standing on the Northern border of the Bardez taluka, on the left bank of river Colvale. Fort of Colvale was constructed in 1681 by the Portuguese to safeguard the region from the attack of the Marathas and other enemies. It was taken by the Bhonsles and recaptured by the Marquis and after 17th century it was neglected and went to ruin.

13. Fort of Reis Magos, Reis Magos in Bardez
It is situated on a strategic point on the South-eastern extremity of the table land on the right bank of the river Mandovi at Verem, Bardez. It was constructed in 1551 and later on enlarged in 1707. It overlooks the city of Panaji. Prior to Portuguese occupation, the Adilshah of Bijapur had constructed an outpost there. It must have attained the name of Reis Magos upon the construction of the first church in Bardez i.e. Reis Magos Church. True, this fortress is smaller in size than that of Cabo de Rama, Chapora etc. and is irregular and disproportionate but it commands a panoramic view from the promontory which stands just near the mouth of river Mandovi. Before liberation, this fort was used to house political prisoners where many prominent freedom fighters had been jailed and after liberation it was converted into a sub-jail. It ceased to be a sub-jail w.e.f.2.7.1993.

14. Church of Reis Magos, Reis Magos in Bardez
This Royal Church was erected in 1557. It is dedicated to the King Magi. Several Viceroys and Governors are buried in this Church as seen from Commemorative slabs.

15. Fort of Chapora, Caisua in Bardez
At the extreme end of the North West side of Bardez Taluka is situated Chapora Fort on the high bluff point on the south of the river Chapora. Its construction started in 1707 by Count of Ereceira, Viceroy of Goa. There is a customhouse and some springs.

16. Temple of Saptakoteswar, Narve in Dicholi
The temple of Saptakotesvar was originally situated at Narve-Divadi. During Portuguese persecution the temple was shifted to Narve -Bicholim. During his campaign of Goan Territory, Shivaji ordered the re-construction of the temple.

17. Caves at Naroa
There are two caves scooped in the laterite. One cave is having a small cell and anti chamber with two pillars and linga in the garbhagraha with Brahmi script. Another cave is situated 200 meters from the cave. Linga is worshipped in this cave.

18. Site of Gujir, Kudne in Dicholi
It is one of the earliest trade centres since the Early Chalukyan period. The Archaeology Department excavated the mound in 1986 and Jaina Temple was discovered as well as the Tirthankar Image was found. North side on the top of the hill there are eight memorials of Jain Sect.

19. Fortress of Sankhali, Sankhali in Dicholi
It was constructed on the bank of river Valavanti in the 17th century. This Fort was controlling the trade routes connected to Upper Land.

20. Namazgah, in Dicholi
This beautiful Namazgah was built on the top of the hill by the rebel son of Aurangzeb, Akbar. This site is situated on a panoramic hill.

21. Site of ruins of Mangeshi Temple, Cortalim in Salcete
This is the site where the original temple of Mangesh was situated in village Cortalim, Taluka Salcete.

22. Site of ruins of Shantadurga temple, Quelossim in Salcete
Nothing except ruins of tank exists at the site of Shantadurga Temple, Quelossim.

23. Site of Ramnath Temple, Loutolim in Salcete
The Portuguese destroyed this temple alongwith other temples in 1560. Now only the remains of the tank exists.

24. Ruins including Tank of the temple of Mahalasa, Verna in Salcete
The grand temple was destroyed by the Portuguese in 1560. Only ancient tank of the temple exists.

25. Gate of Rachol Fortress, Rachol in Salcete
The gate of Fort Rachol stands on the bank of the river Zuari. This Fort was built to defend Salcete from attacks of Maratha and other rulers.

26. Cave at Aquem, Margao in Salcete
This cave is situated at Aquem. It is scooped in the laterite rock with two cells and a verandah. It might have been used by 'Nathpanthis'.

27. Frontispiece of Sancoale Church, Sancoale in Marmagao.
The Majestic edifice which is locally known as the Church of Our Lady of Health of which only magnificent fašade survives.

28. Shri Chandreshwar at Paroda, Paroda in Quepem
The temple of Chandranath is situated on the top of the hill which is 348 mts. high above sea level. Many ancient rulers of Goa worshipped the deity of Chandreshwar

29. Fort of Cabo da Rama, Cabo de Rama in Canacona
The Fort is situated at the extreme end of the village 'Khol' and is also called Kholgad. This Fort consists of main entrance, Church, barrack with two springs in the vicinity.

30. Site of Narayandev at Vichundre, Sanguem.
Probably, the temple is of 12th century A. D. There are two plinths, one is of the Shri Narayandev and another one is of Shri Mahishasurmardini. The temple plinths are having excellent architectural style. The image of Narayandev is standing and Dashavatara is shown on Prabhavali. There is also the sculpture of Garuda and Ganesh in "Sabhamandapa".

31. Cave at Rivona, Rivona in Sanguem
It is a natural cave in laterite rock and it was used by the Buddhists. It is having a pedestral and can accommodated 100 people at a time.

32. Cave at Khandepar, Khandepar in Ponda
Four cells are carved in the laterite rock on the bank of the river Khandepar. The superstructure is monolithic while the Shikhar is constructed in laterite masonry blocks and can be dated to 11th century A.D.

33. Cave at Ishwarbhat, Khandepar in Ponda
This is a single cell scooped in laterite. It is having Linga which can be dated to 9th to 10th century A.D.

34. Cave at Mangeshi, Mangeshi in Ponda
This is single cell with laterite pedestal cave without any deity. It is situated in village Cuncoliem, Mangueshi in Ponda taluka.

35. Shri Nageshi Temple, Nageshi in Ponda
Nagesh in the form of Linga. The deity is worshipped in this temple. This Temple was reconstructed during the 17th century. It is a specimen of Indo-Portuguese architecture.

36. Shri Kamakshi Temple, Shiroda in Ponda
This beautiful temple was reconstructed in 17th century. It has been shifted from Raia in Salcete Taluka to Shiroda in Ponda.

37. Shri Saptakoteshwar Temple, Khandepar in Ponda
One of the beautiful Temple constructed in laterite stones. It is situated on the bank of the river Khandepar. It is having a garbhagriha and an anti-chamber.

38. Shri Mahadeva Temple, Agapur in Ponda
This is a Trikutachal temple complex dedicated to Govind, Madhav and Keshav having a typical laterite dome of medievel period.

39. Ruins of Jain Basti, Bandiwade in Ponda
This temple is important in two ways, firstly it seems to have been closely associated with founders of village Bandiwade by Jaina rulers and secondly establishment of Jaina cult in Goa during Vijayanagar period.

40. Fort of Alorna, Alorna in Pedne
This Fort was constructed at the right side on the mouth of the river Terekhol in the 17th century A.D. by Sawants of Wadi. It was taken by Portuguese in 1746.

41. Site of Rock Carving at Pansaimal, Pansaimal in Sanguem
It contains the early rock carving on laterite at Pansaimol Colomb on bank of the river Khushavati. The main figures are deers, Mother Goddess, dancing girls, fish and other figures.

42. Site of Rock Carving at Kazur, Kazur in Sanguem
This carving are situated in the paddy field with mostly the figures of the deer.

43. British Cemetery at Dona Paula, Dona Paula in Tiswadi
This is the only British Cemetery that existed during the Napolean period. It contains 47 tombs and 56 grave structures of period 1799 to 1813.

44. Site of Fort of St. Estevam, St. Estevam in Tiswadi
It was constructed by Portuguese on the island in Jua to protect the eastern and northern boundaries.

45. Fort of Khorjuve, Khorjuve in Bardez
It was constructed by Portuguese in early 17th century. The main purpose was to protect their northern frontier from the attack of Marathas.

46. Cave at Siddhanath, Tarsurla in Dicholi
It is scooped in laterite with Chamber and anti-chamber with Linga. The deity is worshipped as Siddheshwar.

47. Adilshahi Mosque, Tar Surla, Bicholim
Specimen of Adilshah architecture built by Ibrahim Adilshah II (1580-1623). It was similar to Safa Majid Ponda in architectural style.

48. Fort of Marmogao, Marmagao.
It was constructed by Portuguese in 1624 to protect the ships entering the port of Old Goa and Mormugao. It contains three magazines, a chapel, springs and quarters.

49. Site of Kaivailyamath, Consua in Marmagao
There are two caves scooped in Laterite. It might have been used for meditation.

50. Caves at Shigao, Shigao in Sanguem
This a small cave excavated in laterite with a pedestral. It is situated at Shigao in Sanguem taluka.

51. Fort of Terekhol, Terekhol in Pedne
It was constructed by Bhonsales of Sawantwadi in 17th century. It lies at the mouth of river Terekhol to protect the areas.